Saturday, December 10, 2005

THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

“I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good. I hate a song that makes you think that you are just born to lose. Bound to lose. No good to nobody. No good for nothing. Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim too ugly or too this or too that. Songs that run you down or poke fun at you on account of your bad luck or hard traveling. I am out to fight those songs to my very last breath of air and my last drop of blood. I am out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world, and that if it has hit you pretty hard and knocked you for a dozen loops, no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work” ~ Woody Guthrie.

"There is a reality against which velocity must constantly be assayed" ~ China Miéville.

"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" ~ Michael Moorcock.

Your music is dead and stale. Last night I heard the Popular Beat Combo known as the "Sugababes" attempting to sing "Come Together". I won't attempt to describe it, but I think it suffices to say that I kicked over my speakers and hid on the roof for an hour until the urge to run to London and bite out their vocal chords before they could harm anyone else had subsided. No-one appears to be trying to make anything new anymore - almost everything I hear on the radio that has energy and verve to it turns out to be from twenty years ago, or rips off something from twenty years ago. Franz Ferdinand, I am looking at you. Enough whinging.

This post is here to introduce a new musical project featuring myself, Veins, Garth Wintergreen and Special Guests. And it's called Pontius Pilot. And the idea is that we play a live set that's continuous, contains no covers, entirely musical, and is full of energy and innovation. The words, ladies and gentlemen, are RIOT and POP. Because there needs to be a new revolutionary music to shock, intimidate and politicise the Youth of Today into something. Because what we've got at the moment really isn't bastard cutting it. What we're looking for is something with the manic, rhythmic energy and attention to impressive dress that you see in black metal, except with more emphasis on harmonic development, vocal harmonies taken from traditional folktunes without clinging desperately to traditional structures, and modernist atonality without the loss of something you can dance to.

Samples of what I'm talking about are here, here, and here.

It is very late now, and I am filled with IDEAS. I will return when they have emerged, Athena-like, from my brow.


[The Rhexis sincerely apologises for its editor's Music Will Save the World rhetoric, and will send his curriculum vitae to the NME. The post will be left in place, however, because it links to various new musical projects, and is, after all, quite exciting. -SXV]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home